The songs of Papuri! 20 are a snapshot of life as God intends for us to live it, and life as we know it from day to day. Often there is a wide gap between the two.
The songwriters have a simple agenda: share their experiences in dealing with that gap.
Papuri! 20 is a collection of musically-rich precepts from God’s Word in contemporary settings of jazz, ballad, pop and even Pinoy styles.
Here’s a sampling:
- Jim San Juan sings the theme song “Babalik-Balikan” by Toi Polo, expressing pure and heartfelt praise bursts from the heart and that you just have to return to again and again.
- Tricia Amper-Jimenez interprets Dodjie Simon’s poignant “Dinggin Mo”, a prayer to bring our nation back to God.
- Reuben Laurente renders Henry Gasser’s declaration in song, “Sa ‘Yo Lang” in his effortless yet impassioned signature style.
- Dulce brings her musical maturity to full use in a breathtaking take of Rhoen Del Monte’s “Sa Iyo Lumalapit”, a response to Jesus’ invitation, “Come to Me…”
- Mario Lajarca, Jr. will inspire you to trust Jesus completely with Soc Villanueva’s jazz ballad, “Si Jesus ang Bahala”.
The songs of Papuri! 20 are the personal stories of the songwriters and the singers, and they can be your own story as well. Does this sound familiar:
“Kailan ba nagkulang ang Panginoon?
Minsan ba sa ala-ala ay naiwan ka sa hirap
Na walang karamay sa iyong buhay
Kailan ba? Kailan ba?
Kailan ba nagkulang ang Panginoon?”
(from Jim Reyes’ “Kailan Ba Nagkulang?”, performed by Jonaver Luklukan)
Come to the album launch concert of Papuri! 20 – “Babalik-Balikan”, October 14, 3:00pm and 7:30pm at Greenhills Christian Fellowship, Ortigas Center, Pasig City.